Tuesday, March 29, 2011

ATTITUDE ON ALTITUDE


Attitude is defined as one’s mindset, approach while Altitude is said to be height above sea level. Let’s start by bringing those two words together.
One’s mindset or approach, height above sea level; leading to one experience I had aboard my Kilimanjaro bound flight last week. We were approaching Arusha a nearby town of Tanzania as the Pilot announced, “Anyone interested may want to take a look at Mount Kilimanjaro on the left side of our plane”. Everyone hurried towards the wing where I was seated.
David who was sitting behind me, quickly said hello to Sarafina who was seated beside me both Kenyans (sadly the weather wasn’t good enough to catch a view of Africa’s highest free standing mountain) making passengers pass comments.
Since we can’t catch a view of Kilimanjaro maybe Mount Kenya won’t be a bad idea said someone. I laughed as Sarafina announced she had tried to climb Kilimanjaro once and didn’t make it to the top. I asked her why she hasn’t tried again and she said it’s not her type of thing.
I told her that I was going to Tanzania to climb Mount Kilimanjaro then she said take photos, shortly David said; if you’re going to climb it, then I can do it too. I told him there’s need he prepared himself for it.
He said if you are about to do Kilimanjaro Joshua am sure I can do it also. As I laid in the confines of my Karanga Camp at 3930 metres tent, the attitude David had in-flight truly is one attitude many have on altitude above Africa’s highest free standing mountain, not considering challenge the expedition requires.
Since the expedition up Kilimanjaro started a couple of days ago for me from umbwe gate with my chief guide Ien and a nutritionist-chef, waiter and five porters passed through the tropical rain forest, grassy moorland to barrancho camp and write this piece up the mountain, we all must have the right attitude to successfully attain the altitude we want in life-best by patiently preparing for the peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment