Thursday, April 28, 2011

FOOD IS FUEL EVERY TIME


Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body. You and I know what we consume is usually of plant or animal origin and does contain essential nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals. Some years ago when I had the privilege to share the platform with my mentor, role model-Dr. Myles Munroe after a beautiful leadership conference with over 5,000 people and professionals we went to have lunch.
He looked at me during the time together that terrific thursday two years ago and said; “food is fuel.” First time I will ever hear those true words. Some weeks ago as I touched down Kilimanjaro International Airport, Tanzania in East Africa all in a bid to take on Africa’s highest peak putting my body under real pressure everyday for approximately six hours, sure reminded me food indeed is fuel.
You know water is life, which our body needs daily. Do you know what you invest in you reflects sooner or later in the day, with water drank daily on Kilimanjaro 4-6litres every day, even when I have had little or no food, drinking water releases some life-locking within me a will to go further regardless of how I felt.
Truth is strength I had day expedition up Kilimanjaro began was as a result of fibre based breakfast that included ;“corn flakes” eggs, passion juice (from Tanzanian grown passion fruits)blended daily at Mount Kilimanjaro mountain resort.
The nutritionist that took care of me, mountain guide and porters on the mountain made fresh soup every day, every meal started with some soup including pumpkin soup that had: 645kj of energy, 7.0g protein, 4.5g of fat, 19.7g carbohydrates, 12.4g sugars,1.8g dietary fibre, 30.3ug fiolate, 351 mg sodium, 518mg potassium and 103mg phosphorus locked inside every serving.
So much as I lost appetite as we ascended higher up Kilimanjaro one thing I didn’t toy with was soup servings since I knew and also understand the impact what taking a meal can do for me, you, your body and health no matter what this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment